Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

My 3 day year in London

Finally back safe from London; probably the most familiar city to visit for a Kenyan; I couldnt help feeling like I was walking along westlands ....the red telephone booths, hearing people speaking swahili loosely, traditional fish & chips (Kenchick kabisa !), driving on the right side of the road and of course.......all signs were in English !!! I was only there for 3 whole days but it felt like i had been there forever; the commotion from winning the 2012 Olympics hosting, G8 summit, crowds gathering to commemorate WW2, raves with familiar music, Oh....and theres Tusker... and not forgetting my second bomb blast experience, only that the Londoners handled it differently......I just never realised how much Nairobi is a copy-paste of London. I couldnt travel around much of course with limited transport (What are the odds that when you go visit a city bombings will occur anyway....); And oh....Buckhingham Palace is a dissapointment :-[

Back in Amsterdam; the security at the airports much tighter than in London, people looking taller and blonder and communicating in noises that sound like swear words, the signs in a language i cant pronounce, the shop attendants not knowing any form of customer service ..... I grab my bike and join the bike traffic jam along the crowded streets at the center....dodging dog poop, trams and insinuately annoying tourists......I love Amsterdam.

Comments:
So can i visit? :-) I'd love to love Amsterdam!
 
I've include some of your thoughts on our page. Lovely stuff - you seems to be a good observer! Not really sure about your points on female circumcision though. Surely women didn't come up with this on their own?
Feel free to comment on our site!
 
Hey Emily! Great to hear you are safe!!!
Nice to see that U finally have more "love" feeling for Amsterdam!!
Keep me posted about the results of your London visit!
hugs
Tasha
xxx
 
have had the same thoughts when visiting london. and of course i couldn't meet on the opportunity to get some chips and sausages.
 
I love the way you've written this..ending with you jumping on to your bike in Amsterdam hehehe
 
Thank you!
[url=http://cxehdhxd.com/igsn/gwwm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://palxcbow.com/lfvs/ckfp.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Good design!
My homepage | Please visit
 
Thank you!
http://cxehdhxd.com/igsn/gwwm.html | http://kqqglohy.com/xmeu/jqle.html
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?